• Joan Matabosch, Daniel Bianco, Ernesto Palacio, Pierangelo Conte, César Wonenburger and Ulises Jaén make up the rest of the voting members.
• Jerónimo Saavedra Acevedo and Guillermo García-Alcalde will take part as non-voting honorary members and Mario Pontiggia will be secretary of the jury.
• VI CICAK 2017 organisers have extended the applications deadline, available at www.cicakraus.com
Fundación Internacional Alfredo Kraus, organiser of the VI Concurso Internacional de Canto Alfredo Kraus (CICAK), has announced the complete lineup of the jury tasked with judging candidates. At the launch of the competition on 19 May at the Gran Canaria Island Council, Rosa Kraus Ley, Foundation Chair, said that mezzo-soprano Teresa Berganza will chair the Jury.
Madrid opera singer Teresa Berganza has performed at the world’s leading theatres and collaborated with the greatest music directors, sharing the stage with outstanding colleagues including Alfredo Kraus. Her skilled technique has earned her the praise of both the public and specialised critics and she has received numerous awards, such as the Prince of Asturias Arts Prize (1991), the National Music Prize (1996) and the French Legion of Honour (2012).
Teresa Berganza will be joined on the jury by six members of the artistic management of international theatres and two non-voting honorary members. The position of secretary of the jury will be held by the Foundation’s artistic director, Mario Pontiggia.
The voting members, in addition to the Chair, Teresa Berganza, are: Joan Matabosch, artistic director of Madrid Royal Theatre; Daniel Bianco, artistic director of the National Zarzuela Theatre, Madrid; Ernesto Palacio, artistic director of the Rossini Opera Festival, Pesaro; Pierangelo Conte, artistic coordinator of the Opera of Florence; César Wonenburger, artistic director of Friends of the Opera of A Coruña; and Ulises Jaén, artistic director of Canary Islands Friends of the Opera.
The non-voting honorary members are Jerónimo Saavedra Acevedo, corresponding fellow of San Fernando Royal Academy of Fine Arts and patron of the first five competitions, and Guillermo García-Alcalde, music critic and member of the jury for the first three competitions.
The organisers of the VI CICAK 2017 have also announced that because of the numerous emails received asking for an extension of the applications deadline, the closing date, as indicated in Article 2.2. of the Rules of the Competition, will be:
• 10 June 2017 for participants in the Preliminary Round in Madrid.
• 1 July 2017 for participants in the Preliminary Round in Florence and Las Palmas de Gran Canaria.
• 1 July 2017 for participants directly entering the Semi-final Round in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria in accordance with the conditions of Article 4.4. of the Rules.
Information about the application process is available at this webpage. All those interested in taking part can access the rules and the application form at this link.